Thursday, October 20, 2011

Best Friend = Grrrreat Times

So, my bestie came to visit from LA this past week- the only problem was- since July, let me repeat, since July we have had very little rain.  Everything I planned for us to do was outside- I hadn't gotten in the STL frame of mind to stay indoors so as luck would have it, every day she was here, was cold and rainy.  It even hailed one day, I mean really?!? 
Needless to say, we know how to have a good time and one of our favorite past times just happens to be driving around while drinking a pumpkin spice soy latte.
We ventured out west- west of St. Louis, that is.  There is a beautiful little community called St. Albans, that is tucked away in the bluffs of Missouri.  I have always tried to make a drive this time of year and now I can say that I have finally done it.  And yes, it was well worth it.


Just beautiful!!



Just around the river bend!


Get me out of the car!!


Not the best pic of us, but we sure were having fun!


Is that a slide I see?



The beach



Wheeee!


 So as you can see, we made the most of the day.

A little history:
What was once a country retreat for St. Louis families is now an upscale residential community with a country club and a wonderful golf course.  St. Albans sits in the bluffs of Franklin County and has some amazing views.  The St. Albans Head's General Store and the Farms Stone Barn are on the National Register of Historic Places.  Lewis and Clark's expedition lead them through this area, almost costing Lewis his life on the bluffs.


Head's General Store
In operation since 1892
(Photo via information st. louis)


Studio Inn
Previous home of Oscar and Irene Johnson-
owned and ran 7,000 acres of land
(photo via information st. louis)


Beautiful homes with lots of character
A more modest home- if you call that modest!
(photo via masoncontractors)


A home in the bluffs
(photo via masoncontractors)


Country Club of St. Albans
(photo via St.Albans CC)


I will leave you with this-
Points to Ponder:
Why do you drive on a parkway and park on a driveway?


No comments:

Post a Comment