Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Did someone say pumpkin?

Pumpkin scone, that is.
So, I tried out a recipe from http://sweetpeaskitchen.com/2010/09/27/pumpkin-scones/ which turned out quite amazing.  I mean really, this time of year, you throw pumpkin in the mix and it's bound to be a winner.  So- my family will be having pumpkin scones for breakfast, snack, lunch, and snack.  Don't worry- I'll make something different for dinner...maybe pumpkin bread!!


essentials


right out of the oven



finished product


Ingredients:



For the Scones:
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 6 tablespoons cold butter, cut into 1-inch cubes
  • 1/2 cup canned pumpkin puree (NOT pumpkin pie filling)
  • 3 tablespoons half-and-half
  • 1 large egg
For the Powdered Sugar Glaze:
  • 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
  • 2 tablespoons milk
Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and spices. (I used crystallized ginger)  Throw in butter, it's really best to break it up with your hands until it resembles corn meal.  Add pumpkin, half and half (I used milk), and egg.  Gently fold in wet ingredients.  Then on a floured surface pat out dough and either cut into triangles or use a biscuit cutter for circle shaped.  (A true English scone is round)  Bake @ 425 on a oiled sheetpan (PAM works fine) for 10-14 minutes.  Let cool.  Mix powdered sugar and milk, spoon on and let glaze harden.  Voila-

I did make a few more changes to my recipe-

First of all, I added a lot more cinnamon- you can taste test as you go but I think you will agree.

Secondly- I have a wheat allergy so I opted to make mine gluten free.  I used a gluten free mix purchased from whole foods, but you can also use a mixture of oat, tapioca, and rice flour.

Last but not least- quite obvious my scones are round.  Those are by far, the best.  No overloaded sugar starbucks ones for me!  (not going to lie- those are my go-to's on roadtrips!)

Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment