Wednesday, November 16, 2011

mum, mum, mum, mum...

Yes, mum as in Thanksgiving, fall flowers.  But also for mummum, a descriptive word for a very good and delicious treat which could only mean one thing- Thanksgiving feast. 

As I mentioned earlier, we are hosting a quite large Thanksgiving.  Mark and I are in charge of the birds, dessert, and cranberries- so I, of course, will be sharing you my treats for our very special day.  I hope you eat your gizzards out.


(photo via kizzane.com)
First and foremost- let's just get it out there- TURKEY.  Everyone comes for the turkey (unless you are myself who just likes to stare and gobble (heehee) the dessert).  I have only hosted Thanksgiving one other time (while I was in culinary school in nyc- in which case- I am sorry if you missed out because it was scrumpcious and a little over the top) in which I ended up using a Williams Sonoma brine (highly suggest) and a Martha Stewart recipe.  When in doubt, go with Martha- she never will fail you.


best brine- get yours now because it goes real fast- $18.00

(photo via ws.com)

Now, as for my turkey I chose a kosher turkey- I think they tend to be a little more tender and juicier.




  • Yield Serves 8 to 10

  • recipe via marthastewart.com

    I substituted the ws brine for what martha called in this recipe but I'm sure if you wanted to make your own- it will be delicious.



    BUT wait... yes, there is a but this year.  I was strolling along doing my weekly grocery shopping at our local trader joe's and I saw some fresh turkeys.  Hmmm, I thought- I wonder how those are.  I finished my shopping and went back to them- it just so happened a lady walked out from the back-  I stopped and asked. 

    She said, "hands down, these are the best turkeys I have ever had- I buy one for everyone in my family because I won't eat anything else."  Hmm, that is a tall drink of water.

    Then I asked about the WS brine and she said, "funny that you mention that because I use to work there and I think these are still better."

    So- there you have it folks.  I'm going to give it a whirl.



    NEXT- cranberries!!!


    My sister gave me this recipe and every year everyone (even the guys) go up for seconds!

    • 2 bags of fresh cranberries (freeze them when you get home)
    • 2 apples
    • 1 can crushed pineapple, drained
    • 1 can of mandarin oranges, drained
    • 1 cup of sugar
    • 1 large packet of cranberry jello
    1. Make jello with only 1 cup water and set in fridge until set
    2. crush cranberries, apples, pineapple, and oranges in large bowl
    3. once crushed add sugar
    4. Then add jello, stir and place in fridge overnight
    Perfect cranberry dish for all to share and love!!



    Now what we're really waiting for:
    desserts!!!

    Here is a rundown of the desserts I will be making next week:
    depending on how large your crowd will be, pick one, pick two or pick em' all, but most importantly- Enjoy the time eating together with your family and friends!

    • pumpkin crisp
    • pecan pie with cream cheese crust
    • mini apple jar crisp
    • pumpkin tart
    • reese's cheesecake brownies

    Here are some pics and over the next week I'll be inserting a recipe into each blog so stay tuned!!






    I think I am the luckiest girl in the world to receive this: my great aunt annie's pie chest that has been in our family for years.  I'm going to make the most kickass dessert table- ever.





    And I shall leave you with this:
     
    amen.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment